Beautiful streets, beautiful houses, beautiful lifestyle and beautiful people, with perhaps an inverse order of importance. Yes, we have made it to Coppenhagen!
At first inspection, Copenhagen appears to possess many features you'd want in a city. Namely:
It's a bike city.
I laughed when I read online the politician's proclamation of Melbourne as a bike city, with reference of being up there with European cities as a bike city. This week we will visit both Copenhagen and Amsterdam, two cities famous for bike usage. I'm not sure which one will get my tick as most bike friendly, however looking forward to deploying some 2 wheel pedal power. Perhaps we can even hire a bike with a basket (and flowers) for Cinthia.
In Coppenhagen most streets have a pedestrian level, then adjacent a bike level, then parked cars, and then the flowing traffic. Bikers seem to exceed the cars in most streets. The bike level is seperate enough from both pedestrians and cars, and sufficiently wide (about 2 metres), that people cruise along quite rapidly, sometimes whilst talking on mobile phones. Personally, I wouldn't advocate that riding on Melbourne's city streets.
The houses and streets are beautiful.
Whilst in St. Petersburgs' city centre, living in the Classic era apartments almost seems sureal, Copenhagen the houses in the city appear very livable, whilst still having a strong beauty to them. It has more of an integrated and evolved feel than St. Petersburg, which was very much a regal planned city. Many streets themselves are beautiful, however maintain easy access to the station, supermarkets, parks and monuments. It jumps out as very liveable.
The people are good looking.
I'm not surprised really, however at first glance the Danish have definitely taken it up a level from Finland, and now Copenhagen and Moscow appear to be challenging for the title of best looking people of the trip thus far. I'm looking out for Helena Christensen, however have not seen her thus far. I'll keep you boys posted.
It is socially very liberal.
With a smattering of sex shops and strip clubs it appears to be the case, however we are in the tourist area, so not sure if this is the same throughout the city and country. There also are a lot of lingerie shops we have passed, and the music clips on TV seem quite risque. All good.
The arrival in Copenhagen was like a ray of sunshine for my Brazilian beauty. Her day didn't start well, with the onset of a migraine a likely result of 'flight worry'. She doesn't sleep well the night prior to flights.
The early morning 5.30 get up was a shock to us travellers, however Cinthia was not ready at 6AM for the bus to take us to the airport, and hence we had to take a taxi. Forty euros down and now we have an official 'scapegoat' if we blow trip budget. Thus far we have found Copenhagen to be quite expensive, so trip budget is preparing to put up a rearguard defence. The penalty for this tardy misdemeanor is no Danish cookies or ice creams!
On the plane the butterflies flew wildly in her stomach, and whilst I can't see a rational reason myself for white knuckle holding on to the seat rests during slight turbulence, I can only provide verbal reassurance to my worrying woman that the plane is not going to fall out of the sky. I'm writing this, so it didn't. Only 1 flight in the next month Cin, so don't worry, be happy!
No comments:
Post a Comment