9.23.2011

Day 63 - 22/9/11 - Thursday- Bucharest- Madrid

Babies crying, expensive water buying, Cinthia sighing..... yes we are Easyjet flying! With the priveleges and comfort of business class flights now a distant memory for me, I have had to re-acquant myself to the trials and tribulations of flying not even economy, but budget economy. It may be basic no frills, however like when comparing a Hyundia Kia to a 7 series Mercedes... it still gets you form point A to point B. I can't complain, as unlike my window seat passenger, i don't have a fear of flying. I was much more concerned of driving on the roads of Romania.

Our 4 EasyJet flights across Europe would cost us each less than a return taxi to Melbourne Airport, so as long as you book ahead it is hard to consider the full service airlines for flights shorter than 4 hours. I'm still not sure why flying Melbourne to Broome needs to cost $650 one-way (ACCC?)

Midway through the flight the passengers in the front seat, and Cinthia (with her supersonic sense of smell) became a little perturbed when the smell of smoke began to waft through the air. Luckily, this was not engine 2 suffering from oil in the fuel lines, instead, someone had been smoking in the toilet. A girl come out however said it smelt of smoke when she entered, however noone could remember the previous toilet dweller.... the prime suspect. The attendants were flapping around like seagulls when a handful of chips are thrown on the ground in a park. They quickly emptied the toilet bin into a fire retardant bag, and then made a couple of scathing announcements about how serious it is to smoke, and a culprit if found would be handed straight to police upon arrival. I guess some people just can't last 3 hours without a smoke...

Whilst Morocco is our next destination, there are not of course any flights connecting Romania to Morocco, and hence a Madrid connection and single night stoppover is required. Ah well, I'm sure Cinthia and I will manage somehow in Madrid to get by with some Paella eating and Sangria drinking. Perhaps we can even have a think about what we plan to do in Morocco for the next 2 weeks.....or more importantly, where I could possibly find AFL finals coverage.

We hid Madrid and did like the locals, decided to have a siesta. It was nice to be in a hotel again, and not to have to worry about others in a dorm room. We had decided to stay near the airport, given our 9am flight, so also decided a night out on the Madrid town could wait until our return. It was also scorching hot, 39 degrees, and whilst this was good to get us used to warmer weather in Morocco, we focussed on some much needed rest and hydration.



It was also nice to re-acquant ourselves with Spanish speaking, as whilst neither of us have spoken it for over 5 years, it began to come flooding back from deep down in our memory banks. Adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment