After many trip diary days it was time to kick back and relax, and almost have a holiday from trip diary. Whilst initially thinking there would be no trip diary in Brazil, I relented, after realizing that the 2 weeks in Brazil together, and also spending time with her parents would be perhaps the most important part of the trip for Cinthia, so a diary of sorts is required. The compromise is therefore to treat Brazil like a prologue entry, with no specific dates, and just a summary of activities and themes, not necessarily in chronological order.
In our last act of cheap-skatedness, we actually had to fly back to Rome on Alitalia prior to flying to Sao Paulo. This indirect route would add an additional four hours in the sky, and about 6 hours in Rome. When landing in Rome the sign was in Italian, so naturally we didn't understand that it said connections- Go right, Exit- straight ahead. We exited and left the airport, as the opportunity for a little trip in Rome was too good to pass up. The airport train wasn't cheap into the city, however it was quicker than the bus. Our destination was the Coliseum, a handy little day trip to see one of the world’s most famous tourist attractions. I hadn't been in Rome prior, so even if I never get there again, at least I can say I have laid eyes of the Coliseum.
The flight to Sao Paulo was terrible, as I was in an aisle seat near the toilets in front of the emergency exit. I don't mind that people come and use the space to stretch, however a group of Italians who thought they would come and use the area for a conversation area.... well my patience lasted until 2am, and then I lashed out and told them what I thought of their rude anti- sleeping behavior. Cinthia managed to sleep ok, whilst I managed about an hour. The Italian group was back at 7am.... chatting away, and this time I had a go at them when one stepped on my foot. Footnote..... the extra legroom of the emergency exit sounds good, but don't do it on an Alitalia flight.
Eventually we descended, whilst the mood of Cinthia began to ascend. It is always nice to have the airport pickup rather than a taxi/ bus or train.... especially I guess when it is your parents, and you have not seen them for nearly 2 years. It was obvious that Cinthia was anxious on the plane, and very much wanting to be in her mother’s arms, rather than in a pressurized plane at 30,000 feet. Having had Cinthia in my life for over a year, it was nice to witness the moment when she was reunited, and able to hug her parents. The waterworks started, and it was obvious that Cinthia's level of hapiness escalated to off the charts.
It was nice meeting the parents, although Lourdes, Cinthia's mum doesn't speak much English so her and I had to determine the best manner in which to communicate. Initially it was me speaking Spanish (much to Cinthia’s dismay) and Lourdes replying very slowly in Portuguese, with Cinthia being translator when required. Toward the end of the 2 weeks my Portuguese had improved enough to string a few sentences together, and Lourdes was trying to improve her English speaking capacity.
Even the drive back from the airport it is difficult not to be a little overawed by the monster sized city that is Sao Paulo. I gazed around at endless buildings as Cinthia spoke rapid fire Portuguese to her parents. So much to communicate I guess, even though she does Skype them about 3 times a week.
I guess I want to put in a big thank you to both Alvarenga (yes her dad uses his surname- like a Sri Lankan cricketer) and Lourdes for their unbelievable hospitality. Not only was I made 100% welcome, however staying there we were treated like a 5-star hotel....for the bargain price of nothing. Their generosity refused to let us pay for anything in Sao Paulo, as we wined and dined in some amazing restaurants. Whilst Sao Paulo doesn’t possess the natural lanscape beauty of Rio, the restaurants and nightlife is apparently far superior.
Day 2 was not a rest day, however a major BBQ in their apartment complex, with many of Cinthia’s relatives and close friends. It was also her grandmothers’ 90th birthday, so indeed a double celebration. It was nice to meet so many people who are important to Cinthia, and I think she (and her parents) had a wonderful day. Some spoke English, some as much English as my Portuguese, hence the manner of communication was always a challenge.
Much to the dismay of Cinthia’s parents, and to Cin herself, after 3 nights we were off to Trancoso, a beach precinct in the north east of Brazil. This took me to apparently the real Brazil, or at least the parts that are not the monster cities, or the Amazon. The beaches were lovely, however what was perhaps most appealing was the laid back nature and slower pace of life. Whilst not quite Caribbean slow, it did allow an unwinding after what had been a long, whirlwind and often tiring holiday.
The beaches also represented a task- Learning Portuguese. I lay often in the deck chair, studying my Portuguese text and occasionally looking out to sea, drinking my beer or coconut, or eating some snack we ordered from the hotel beach restaurant. Cinthia unwound also with some Magazines- The Economist, Business Review Weekly and New Scientist....... ok, it was more likely Cosmo, a couple of Brazilian magazines and one with Princess Kate on the cover. I have to be honest and say that the weather was only sometimes nice, and the rain was a pain. It cut a 7 day beach tour into about 4 days, with 3 days almost wiped out by unseasonably heavy rain.
We had hired a car and this allowed us to see a few different places in Bahia, however we stayed away from the big city of Salvador. It was nice to see this part of Brazil, however in hindsight I think Cinthia would have preferred to spent more time in Sao Paulo together with her family whilst I was there.
When back in Sao Paulo we had a few nice nights out, and during the day we shopped and visited a museum (Pinacoteca).
It was nice to spend more time with Cinthia’s mum, and to see how close they were. I accept that it is difficult for both Cinthia and her mum to spend so much time apart and live so far away, so they rarely left each others side during her stay. I had to share Cinthia and she was definitely out hugged by her mother than me in that week. At least now I could put faces and names to Cinthia’s family and friends, and understand more about this wonderful girl in my life.
Finally, it is time to pack, and I’m ready to leave, however I notice Cinthia getting more upset with my impending departure. This is only packing for me, as Cinthia will stay in SP for a further 2 ½ weeks, to spend more time with the family. This represented a dilemma to Cinthia, who was sad we couldn’t all spend more time together. Cinthia’s mum takes me to the airport, and after a final farewell, I walk through the security doors and recommence the security and immigration process that is all too familiar. 35 hours later, after 4 flights, and with a 4 hour delay in Sao Paulo resulting in missed connections, I arrive home and the adventure is over.
My parents nicely volunteered to pick me up at the airport, and drive me back past the familiar sights that represent the Melbourne I know so well. Until the next blog...signing off, and thanks for reading it.
No comments:
Post a Comment