9.04.2011

Day 34 - 24/8/11 - Wednesday - Copenhagen

The final day in Copenhagen was mostly a relaxation day, as we had covered sufficient ground and attractions yesterday. Post breakfast we decided to hit Copenhagen's main shopping strip, which has a claim of being Europe's longest pedestrian mall. It may have been long, however rather narrow compared to similar strips we saw in Irkursk, and Moscow, and hence I was not overwhelmed by being there. After a while browsing, Cinthia and I successfully agreed on the purchase of a major investment, a Copenhagen fridge magnet! This investment adds to our rapidly escalating fridge magnet collection.

Cin- picture of fridge magnets?

The main plan of the day was to visit Tivoli park, a famous Copenhagen amusement park. A collection of rides, gardens and themed buildings (like a Chinese temple) surrouded a lake and central grassy area. The lake was the home to numerous ducks, seagulls (including those big ones you don't know whether they are albatross, or just really big seagulls) and some large and ugly looking fish. The central grassy area was also the main stage, with nightly performances.






The rides in the Helsinki park seemed superior, and being a weekday Tivoli seemed very quiet, with many food stalls and some rides only open on weekends. Perhaps the gardens and flowers were the nicest aspect of the park.




We decided to rest up in the grassy area, and managed to source two outdoor lounge chairs to get comfortable sitting in the sun. Given we did not have our kindles we endeavoured to see if their was free wireless internet, which is sometimes the case. Although all networks were locked, Cinthia managed to hack into a network named 'Test' with the secretly coded password of 'Test'. So we caught up with wordly news, and downloaded some new apps whilst enjoying another warm Copenhagen day.
Our Kroner supply was getting low, and we still had to buy supplies for the train trip, hence we could afford only one luxury item, a beer or ice cream. Tough choice, however I would have gone the beer hands down. However given Cinthia had been craving a wafer strawberry ice cream for several weeks, combined with I'm such a nice boyfriend, I conceeded, and allowed us to indulge in a stawberry ice cream in the park. There would be plenty of time for beers in Netherlands, however I was really enjoying my Carlsbergs in Copenhagen.





Preparing to leave Copenhagen Cinthia and I both had lovely memories to take with us. For Cinthia, Tivoli Park, the houses and the flowers, and Nyhavn Harbour lunch. My favourite memory is perhaps the fact that Copenhagen is such a biking city, and there are also lots of cute blonde girls riding bikes.
I must state however that the cutest girl I saw riding a bike in Copenhagen was the one riding with me..... a knockout Brazilian brunette.

We had arranged a train trip from Copenhagen to Utrecht, not a flight. I mean, isn't that how the Europeans do it, with more intra continental travel by trains than planes?

Unlike the trans siberian however we did not have a cabin with only us, or even 4 people. It had 6 people (as the only remaining reservations were in coach). Initially the beds are not made up, and all 6 people have to sit on 2 bench chairs. Some luggage (but not all) fits under the seats. It was not the sort of luxurious set up we had become used to on the Trans Siberian.

No comments:

Post a Comment